Some people search for a holiday that offers plush hotel relaxation, indulgent food and spa options, while others seek vibrant nightlife, the worlds best club DJ’s and somewhere they can really blow off steam and escape reality. Often the latter option involves almost no luxury, while the first gets pretty dull after the second day.
Situated in Seminyak, perched overlooking the Indian Ocean, W Retreat & Spa Bali, offers the absolute pinnacle of both worlds and TheVine was lucky enough to sample it all.hangover
When you arrive through the long, manicured driveways of this amazing hotel, you’re instantly transported into another world. It really feels like you’ve left the planet and arrived in a dreamland. It’s only when you look outside your window through to panoramic ocean views that you’re reminded of where you are.
The best part about this place is that you could never get bored. There’s constant activities, parties and a rotation of DJ’s playing around the hotel each day. This creates an electric atmosphere around the hotel as it buzzes with activity, but with all the hidden nooks and crannies, you can easily escape from it all when you’re ready to kick back.
During the day, the resort takes on an ‘Alice In Wonderland’ type vibe. Everything is full of colour, it’s quirky and unexpected. This is definitely the case when it comes to the bars and restaurants.
Chef, Matthew McCool packs a buffet full of surprises that includes interactive food stations from around the world, including gourmet doughnuts, lollies and insane deserts that are as mind-blowing to look at as they are to taste.
Just when you think you’re in food heaven – things are unexpectedly taken to the next level with champaign brunch on Sundays. that’s when McCool really lets loose with seafood (lobsters, oysters – e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!), kebab, sushi and desert stations – it is honestly the most indulgent experience you will ever have involving food. Prepare for the worlds biggest coma, but don’t fear, there’s a big night ahead and you’ll need as much in the tank as possible.
It’s when the sun sets that the hotel really puts on a show. It’s also this that really defines this place amongst anything else not only in Indonesia but around the world.
Curated by former Ministry Of Sound DJ, turned international tour manager Damian Saint, W Bali throws constant parties with some of the best known DJ names from around the world. On some occasions, we’re talking the types of names that would sit comfortably in prime slots on the festival circuit. Saint’s connections prove vital in offering these acts a place to stopover while playing throughout Asia where they get the perks of the hotel and one of the most unique dance floor views you’ll ever come across.
While staying at the W, we went down to check out a ‘Sunset Set’. This party involved 300-400 people dancing out on the deck, overlooking the sun as it set over the ocean. You can check out some of the footage below – but it really gives it no justice (partly because the quality of our footage descended as the night progressed – it’s hard not to have a good time). After the sunset sessions, the crowd move inside closer to midnight where the W boasts a nightclub featuring two levels, low ceilings and deeper later night beats.
At the W, it’s easy to get sucked in to the routine of going out all night, recovering all day in total luxury (trust us, make the most of the buffets) and then going back at it again by noon. If you’re up for something reclusive, you’ll definitely love this place – but to get the most out of it, we recommend you put yourself out there, go cray and really let your hair down.
To get a visual taste of TheVine’s experience at W Bali, check out the video below and check out our tips to get the most out of this unique hotel.
WATCH: TheVine Travel ~ Get The Most From W Bali
13 Tips To Make The Most Out Of W Hotel Bali
– Chances are you might be feeling seedy. Sleep in. You’re on holiday and there’s no rush.
– Feeling active? Head to WOOSKY Sunrise yoga and strike a pose on the beach while resident DJ’s blast a chilled out 75 minutes morning soundtrack to your stretch routine.
– Head to Starfish Bloo – in my opinion, it has the better of the breakfasts with everything you could possibly need to give you energy for a big day of sitting by the pool, restoring your body and late night action.
– Hit the surf – and then the pool. Then, beach yourself poolside and order yourself a drink and settle in for a while.
– The spa is top notch. If you’re doing it – go all out and get yourself the Swedish massage. Cummon’ you deserve it.
– Take a good book to the hotel’s hidden Oasis area. It’s a short walk from the lobby through the villas and is the ideal place to escape from everyone, mediate and shut your eyes in silence. There’s even magazines and printouts of all the world newspapers. I reckon this is one of the most underrated and underused areas of the hotel.
– If you’re up for an adventure, you’re in Bali and the shopping in Seminyak is some of Bali’s best. The hotel can organise all your transportation needs.
– Head to Woobar for a sunset drink. Grab yourself a complimentary pizza and some two for one signature cocktails between 4PM-6PM
– Sit overlooking the beach and soak it all in.
– Head off for dinner. You must try the FIRE restaurant which is headed up by internationally renowned chef Jack Yoss. If you leave without trying their signiture aged steak menu, you really have let yourself down.
– W Hotel is famous for putting on some of the worlds best electronic acts. The key difference to anywhere else is that the acts are litrally playing overlooking the ocean. It’s hard not to have a good time.
– If you’ve just come off the beach, no worries. People are literally partying in the bathers. It’s purely unique and awesome.
– Woobar is the place to be. It’s a small club which makes things very intimate.